My Year Of Shakespeare Shakepeare

My personal journey into the world of William Shakespeare

Name:
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States

I have always been aware that there was this dude named Shakespeare and that he influenced, well, everything. It seemed like a good time to read up on him and read what he wrote.

Monday, October 24, 2005

Getting started

OK, I read the preface and let me tell you....Maybe everyone else but me is well versed in reading Star Dates but when there is a reference to (2.2.524) in Hamlet, I think that the Planet2 in Sector2 has Moons524. OK, I figured out that it means Act2 Scene2 Line524 but like so many others, James Shapiro, author of much Shakespeare stuff shouldn't assume that the everyday reader knows this. Take a moment, explain, I won't be offended.
Now I do appreciate the knowledge being given so I won't quibble (much) and say that I am really very excited see "the English pass their time, learning at the play what is happening abroad." as noted by Thomas Plater, a Swiss tourist who visited England and saw plays there in 1599. Now, that is the kind of detail that makes this look at Shakespeare seem, at the very least, very well researched. The author notes in his preface that the First Folio of 1623 put together by John Heminges and Henry Condell, who had worked alongside Shakespeare since the mid 1590's, instead of putting the plays in there sequential order, which they would have known, "decided to shoehorn them into the categories of comedies, histories, and tragedies..." and even then they aren't even in sequential order within these groups. Since I plan to read them in chronological, sequential, historical or some such order, it seems that I have my work cut out for me to find an accurate semblance of order. First, the history. Stay tuned.

1 Comments:

Anonymous tin_lizzy said...

hey cool...you're a brave man, or more enterprising vs brave perhaps. I'll live vicariously thru your Shakespearings :)

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home