My Year Of Shakespeare Shakepeare

My personal journey into the world of William Shakespeare

Name:
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States

I have always been aware that there was this dude named Shakespeare and that he influenced, well, everything. It seemed like a good time to read up on him and read what he wrote.

Sunday, November 20, 2005

The D'oh of Shakespeare

Sorry for taking so long. A persistant bout of Diplopia with a side of Ice-Slippia has made me a bit grumpy.
Now, I am a firm believer that books should be carefully handled. No dog-eared pages, and good, unmarred dust jackets are the rule in my book world. So, you can imagine my horror when I actually took a pencil (hi-lighter variety provided by my wonderful, very enthusiastic wife and blogmate) and, oh my god! WROTE IN A BOOK. I didn't press too hard but I had to mark some passages for future reference. It seems that having a blog has given me a strange permission to slightly mark up some pages. In school I was always the student who turned in pristine, unmarked (OK, unread, I was not of the school type.) textbooks. Just like Bart Simpson who expected special dispensation at the end of the school year by turning in clean, like new textbooks, my books had always been like new. I even carefully held those paperbacks to keep the spine from creasing. Now I am like a crazy person, writing in books and the like. Who knows, comments might even start appearing in the margins. Oh the humanity! At any rate, I'm sure Will had quite a few comments to make about the different books he read between acting and composing, so I have a sort of historical permission, as well as the aformentioned encouragement from my wife to defile my books. Tee Hee, I feel sort of dirty, and I like it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Stefanie said...

Just don't blame me if, when all is said and done, you suddenly feel remorse for writing in your books!

11:25 AM  
Blogger piksea said...

I used to be vehemently against the defiling of books in any manner. Now, I've certainly softened on this point. Sometimes marginalia reminds you of thoughts you had when you read the book before. Other people's notes make the reading experience a little more personal - seeing others thoughts and ideas.

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home