My Year Of Shakespeare Shakepeare

My personal journey into the world of William Shakespeare

Name:
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States

I have always been aware that there was this dude named Shakespeare and that he influenced, well, everything. It seemed like a good time to read up on him and read what he wrote.

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Et Tu Brute?

Shakespeare had a major effect in colorizing our language. He introduced, or recorded in print for the first time, many words and phrases that he used for the first time or had only been spoken previously.
Here is a short list that I found here.
I'll add more to the sidebar eventually.

metamorphose
critic
mimicrant
marketable
premeditated
manager
swagger
puke
assassin
zany
retirement

A fool's paradise.
A foregone conclusion.
An eye-sore.
Bated breath.
Budge an inch.
Dead as a doornail.
I have not slept a wink.
For goodness sake.
Love is blind.
Wild goose chase.
To thine own self be true.
My own flesh and blood.

Clodpole - dunce
dewlap - loose skin at the throat
bawcock - fine fellow
absey book - ABC book
flirt-gill - loose woman
hugger-mugger - secrecy
onion-eyed - weepy


Feel free to add your own via comments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home